Don't Get Stung By Wasps In Folsom This Spring
Many people are terrified of wasps, and for a good reason. These flying insects can leave a painful sting on your skin that can cause swelling and even severe allergic reactions in some people. If you see a wasp nest around your home, Bell Pest Control knows how to get rid of it safely. We provide comprehensive pest control in Folsom and have years of experience dealing with various wasps in this area.
How To Identify A Wasp
There are several types of wasps in Folsom. Some are known to be aggressive, and others like to keep to themselves. Here is a look at some of the various types of wasps that you are most likely to see around your home:
- Western yellow jacket: These social wasps are about 5/8 of an inch long. They have black and yellow horizontal stripes that cover their bodies and a pair of red translucent wings.
- Yellow-legged mud dauber: This type of wasp is solitary and measures around an inch long. It has a black body with yellow markings and yellow legs. The yellow-legged mud dauber wasp can sting; however, it is considered non-aggressive and will only sting if it feels threatened.
- European paper wasp: The European paper wasp looks similar to the yellow jacket. It has a slender body black body that features light yellow markings. This species of wasps gets its name from the paper material that they use to build their nest.
- Golden paper wasp: True to its name, this type of wasp has a unique golden color on its head, abdomen, and legs. There are also rust-colored markings sprinkled sporadically throughout their bodies and wings.
Most of the wasps in this area are social wasps, meaning they live in large colonies with several other wasps.
Why Wasps Are A Major Problem For Folsom Yards In The Spring
Wasps can build their nest anywhere in your yard. For the most part, they try to find places that have the least amount of human activity. Usually, you will find a wasp nest on the ceiling of your covered porch, around a light fixture, or on an old statue or structure.
If you accidentally disturb the nests, the wasps inside may become extremely aggressive to protect their nest. If you are stung by one of the common wasps, you could experience extreme pain, swelling, and redness around the site of the sting. A wasp sting can cause a severe allergic reaction in some people. If you notice shortness of breath or have difficulty swallowing after being stung by a wasp, you should seek medical help as soon as possible.
Five Paper Wasp Prevention Tips For Folsom Residents
If you want to prevent wasps in your yard, you can try these easy tips:
- Keep your yard free of old tree limbs and other debris.
- Keep the grass in your yard cut short.
- Remove any toys, vehicles, or other items that are broken or are not using.
- Keep lids on your outdoor trash cans.
- Keep your outdoor lights turned off at night to avoid attracting insects to your home.
These five tips make you less likely to see wasps around your home.
The Most Effective Wasp Control For Folsom Yards
It can be extremely dangerous to remove wasps' nests from your property. If you notice wasps around your Folsom home, call us as soon as possible. At Bell Pest Control, we know how to safely eliminate the wasps on your property and keep them from coming back. Call us today for a free estimate or a free inspection. With over forty years of home pest control experience, our service technicians know the best way to get rid of wasps in Folsom. Call now!